Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I really don't have too many friends...

After contemplating my weekend down at Tech, I realized that social time with the people down there was much more enjoyable than social time here in DC. When I'm out anywhere in DC, I feel like I'm just standing there by myself. Now that I think about it, most of the time I am just standing there against the wall by myself. Heh, neat. Anyway, I don't think I open up with the DC folks like I would with my amigos from Tech. I certainly feel isolated in DC since I live so far away from school, but there really hasn't been anything that I've been through with anyone here that would create that friendship bond. I'm pretty sure that's how it'll stay for the rest of my time here. I'm not particularly butt-hurt about it.

I figured out a quick and easy way to distinguish a friend from an acquaintance. If I don't refer to you in the following ways, then you are merely an acquaintance. Otherwise, you are a friend.


(1) Mr./Ms. ______ (only applies if everyone else would normally call you by your first name)
(2) Some sort of barnyard animal
(3) Bob (only applies if your name isn't actually Bob)


There's really nothing wrong with being an acquaintance. It just means that I probably don't like hanging out with you, because you are too easily offended or because you are just a big tool.

Of course this doesn't leave me with too many friends, but that is ok. I think I can count them all on one hand; and still have room for more.

I have recently been having a very difficult time sleeping at night. This is probably due to my room being oppressively hot, forcing me to lie in bed wide awake. Maybe I'm thinking about too much stuff. Case in point, I ended up getting up in the middle of the night to write this post and record my thoughts.

On another note, I am wondering whether it is rude to tell people to just stop talking to you while in mid-conversation. Here is the situation. I am coming back from a reception at a local firm (which I will discuss in more detail later), and someone from my school happens to be with me as we take the Metro back to school. I don't know this person, but apparently being from the same school gives him a license to be my chum. He kept asking me questions about this and that, what I did in undergrad, what I plan on doing after I graduate, the awesomeness of electrical engineering, etc. I was tired and just wanted to ride the Metro in peace. Don't get me wrong, even if I was wide awake and just sitting around, I still wouldn't have wanted to talk to him. Anyway, I have a feeling most people don't have the gumption to just tell someone to stop talking to them. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Earlier, I had mentioned a reception at a local law firm. Normally, I would stay as far away as possible from these events, since they are typically boring and filled with more tools than you could possibly imagine. However, I felt I had a decent interview with the firm and thought I'd try to play the game. I will never do that again. Visiting the firm and meeting its employees made me think much less of law firms and people associated with them. They are a bunch of elitist chumps who shouldn't be paid half of what they actually get. Students from other schools (Georgetown and GWU come to mind) were all a bunch of tools that couldn't stop talking about themselves.

Female from GWU: "Yea, I'm from Massachusetts, and I haven't really seen much of DC. I spent soooo much time studying during my first year that I didn't get a chance to see any of the museums in DC." (What the hell. I really don't know what to say to that.)

Same female from GWU to associate: "I'm primarily interested in real estate and communications law." (Female learns that the firm specializes in construction law and introduces herself to another associate) "I'm primarily interested in real estate and construction law."

Luckily, I didn't really meet any other students at that reception. And also, I like museums. They just aren't a big priority when it comes to seeing a new city.

Oh, I just thought of one other thing that bothers me to no end. This came up several times while I was trying to be social earlier this year. If you are all at the table and I approach and sit at another table by myself, don't say, "So are you too good to sit with us?" I hate that. First, I don't like to interrupt people's gatherings. It's usually just awkward. Second, I usually assume that you wouldn't want me to sit there (inferiority complex I've had most of my life). Third, people generally want to chat when you join the table, and sometimes I just don't want to talk.

That is all for now. Good evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home