Monday, May 02, 2005

Death to Online Poker!!!

Well, the time has finally come to hang up my tiny mouse and retire from the stupid world of online poker. It has been good I suppose, except for the occasional late nights and stress. It really really is a miserable existence and I would not recommend it for anyone. It takes the fun out of the game, and you lose so much of your life that could be spent doing other things. I commend people that can do this for a living or actually enjoy playing as much as I did. Seriously....go outside and play or something. I really should do that more often, even in this cold weather. Good news is, I have more or less broken even for the semester, so it wasn't a complete flop (hah, no pun intended, until I reread it afterwards, in which I decided it should be considered intentional). However, I now have a 20" Dell 2001FP monitor that I have no real use for. Well, at least one more trip to Atlantic City with "LT" Delong (well, in less than two weeks), so that should be a good time. I'll probably make a few trips out in the summer too, just for fun.

***If anyone has any good ideas for new hobbies, I'd greatly appreciate it. I need something new to consume my time and limitless supply of money (hahah). I should probably get back to playing the guitar again, that was fun. Unfortunately, I just had no way to apply it, so practicing and playing never got interesting, and I slowly stopped playing. Next year, my brother will be here, and I'm sure I'll be playing a lot more with him around.

Now....on a more serious note....

Change of command has finally come, and my experience in the Corps has finally come to an end. I know there's a part of me that will miss it...I gained 20 pounds from when I first got here and learned to like to have shorter hair. It has really been incredible, and I'm grateful to have met all the people that I did in the past four years. Some are really close, and some, I wish I had gotten to know better. I will definitely miss you all who are commissioning, it's been real. For those who still have to wear the wool pants next year, I'll probably see you around somewhere on campus. Also, thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Stephen Bruso, one of my F05 buds.

Being the Kilo Battery commander has been quite as experience. I really wish that I could have done more for the company and the people in it. It was quite tough being split into two buildings; this didn't really help the unit cohesion and morale, and no one ever wanted to do anything. I hope this doesn't happen again next year... I would say I was an average commander. I tried to get things done as promptly as I could, but sometimes schoolwork and poker got in the way, and I would put off what seemed like trivial tasks until later or just completely forget about them. I'm definitely proud of the freshmen in the company though, they are a great group of kids. I just wish we could have challenged them more throughout the semester, it might have made the freshmen year a better experience for them. I wish Kilo the best of luck next year with Abu-Akeel....heh.

It's been over a month and a half since my last post on here...this semester just flew by...I have the LSAT to study for that I'm taking in June, while I'm at the beach with my brother. Glooorious! I'm not really sure what I'll be doing this summer. Definitely not sitting at home in front of the computer playing poker like I did on previous breaks. Not fun. Hopefully someone will have an idea for a new thing to do. That'd be great. Maybe fishing. Crabbing was also suggested, because some people don't like fish.

People have told me that these blog entries are mildly amusing to them, so I will try harder to post more frequently with my witty banter and long-winded prose. Losing lots of money in short periods of time has caused me to re-examine my life...and I leave with these corny lyrics from a Switchfoot track:

"Don't close your eyes,
This is your life.
And today is all you've got now.
And today is all you'll ever have.
Don't close your eyes.

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, is it everything
you dreamed that it would be...."


Eh, I'm saying no. At least not right now. Hopefully I'm heading on the right track without poker. All I can say is, don't waste your life, take a good look in front of you, see what you have, and make the most of it. It just seems like I wasted so much of my past two years....



**DISCLAIMER**

I promise I will never include insanely corny "life lessons" like that in future blog entries. It just seemed appropriate at this time for me.




**JUST IN**

I rule at FIFA for Xbox. Our beloved Lieutenant-to-be just cannot seem to get that into his head.


Good luck to everyone on finals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home